Carrabba’s Spicy Chicken Soup is easily going down as my new go-to soup recipe! It’s layered with flavors and oh-so comforting!!!! Plus – I used leftover rotisserie chicken to make it even quicker.
This definitely isn’t anything like the old standard canned chicken noodle soup. This copycat version of Mama Mandola’s Sicilian Chicken Soup has delicious chunks of veggies and chicken – it gets better the longer you cook it too – and then you add the noodles right at the end so they don’t get mushy. It’s just so good!
How do you make Carrabba’s Spicy Chicken Soup?
It’s a simple recipe – but it does take about 2 hours – so make it on an afternoon when it’s gross outside and you want to stay warm and cozy inside!
- First – dice all the veggies (celery, carrots, onion, potato and bell pepper) and saute for 5 min until start to soften
- Next – add tomatoes, parsley, garlic and red pepper flakes (bump it up if you like it spicier!).
- Finally – add water and chicken broth. (I used leftover Turkey broth from Thanksgiving!)
- Bring soup to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Mash some of vegetables in the bottom of the pot with a potato masher.
- What about the chicken? Add shredded chicken (or turkey) to soup and simmer for 30 minutes. Now’s the time to cook your pasta!
- Right before serving, add cooked ditali pasta (any pasta will do but Carrabba’s uses ditali)
Why is chicken soup good for colds?
Well – there has actually been a lot research done – testing drinking cold water, hot water and chicken soup – and the chicken soup wins! Plus the garlic and onion help boost your immunity too.
Can chicken noodle soup be keto?
I have a good friend – my girl Rhonda – that has to eat keto because of some health issues and I just left out the noodles for this recipe and gave it to her. You add the cooked noodles right at the end anyway – so I just made a container of the soup without the noodles for her! She LOVED it!!! The extra kick of spice won it over for her – and the fact that it’s not just a “broth”.
What to serve with Spicy Chicken Soup?
- Copycat Ruby Slipper Buttermilk Biscuits
- Copycat Olive Garden Signature Salad
- Cherries in the Snow Cheesecake (cuz who doesn’t need dessert!?!)
Other Yummy Soup Recipes
Copycat Carrabba’s Spicy Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 celery ribs diced
- 1 carrot peeled & diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 small russet potato peeled & diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes drained & chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked ditali pasta
- Dice celery, onion, carrots, potato and bell pepper into 1/4-1/2" pieces1 1/2 celery ribs, 1 carrot, 1/2 yellow onion, 1/2 red pepper, 1 small russet potato
- Heat dutch oven to medium high and add olive oil3 tbsp olive oil
- Once pan is hot, add celery, carrots, potato, onion and pepper. Saute for 5 min until vegetables start to soften
- Add tomatoes, parsley, oregano, garlic and red pepper flakes and stir1 14 oz can tomatoes, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tbsp oregano, 2 tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Add water and broth – cover and bring soup to a boil over medium low heat5 cups water, 2 cups chicken broth
- Partially cover pot and simmer for 1 hour
- Using a potato masher, mash some of the vegetables in the bottom of the pot
- Add chicken to soup and simmer 30 minutes more2 cups shredded chicken
- While chicken is simmering in soup- cook pasta2 cups cooked ditali pasta
- Right before serving, add cooked pasta
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan
Leave a Reply