This Pineapple Orange Sunshine Cake could be the happiest cake on the planet! I mean – it’s got SUNSHINE in the name! I made this to take to my friend’s Easter lunch – but this cake is a crowd pleaser anytime and I doctored it up a bit to make it even more moist and delicious!Jump to Recipe
The thing is – you do start with a box cake mix – but once you jazz it up – nobody will be the wiser! By adding eggs, mayo and pineapple – you’re getting a super moist cake – then top it with the most delicious fluffy pineapple frosting!
What’s in Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
I discovered this recipe years ago – and always meant to make it! When I was tasked with dessert for Easter – I knew what I was making! It’s just such a bright and happy cake – perfect for welcoming spring. Inside you’ll find:
- Cake Ingredients:
- Yellow cake mix
- Crushed pineapple
- Frosting Ingredients:
- Cool Whip
- Vanilla pudding mix
- crushed pineapple
- mandarin oranges
I love that this cake is light and fluffy – but not overly sweet!
How do you make Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
Oh you won’t believe how easy it is! The cake takes about 5 minutes to make! Here’s the steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350 (the longest part of the prep!)
- Grease 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray
- In a mixing bowl, combine pineapple, cake mix, eggs and mayo – blend together with an electric mixer on medium speed
- Pour batter into pan
- Bake batter for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven
- While the cake is baking, in a separate bowl – fold together whipped topping, package of pudding mix, Mandarin oranges and the rest of the can of pineapple.
- Cover frosting and put in the refrigerator
- Once the cake is done, remove from the oven and let cool sufficiently to room temperature
- Frost cake and serve!
Tips & Tricks
Nope – use the eggs, mayo and pineapple instead
Yup! Any pineapple will do – just finely chop if using fresh and be sure to capture the juice. You’ll need 2 cups total.
Yup – again – just be sure you have the same amount.
Bake the cake batter in two 8-inch cake pans. Remove cooled layers from pans. Set first layer on a cake plate and spoon frosting on top of layer (about 1/3 of frosting – at least 1/2 inch thick). Stack second layer on top of frosting. Spoon remaining frosting on top and side of cake. Now you have your multilayer cake!
Other Pineapple Desserts & Recipes
My favorite part of this dessert are the bites of pineapple and orange you get! Here are some other pineapple-y favorites!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
Pineapple Sunshine Cake with Oranges
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, mayo and 1/2 can pineapple with some juice1 box yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 cup mayo, 1/2 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
- Using a hand mixer, beat cake mix well and pour into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack and then refrigerate
- In a medium sized bowl, fold together Cool Whip, vanilla pudding mix, oranges and remaining pineapple with juice.1 8 oz container Cool Whip, 1 box Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix, 1 cup mandarin oranges, 1/2 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
- Cover and Refrigerate frosting until ready to frost and/or serve
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and decorate top with more mandarin oranges