This Pineapple Orange Sunshine Cake could be the happiest cake on the planet! I mean – it’s got SUNSHINE in the name! I made this to take to my friend’s Easter lunch – but this cake is a crowd pleaser anytime and I doctored it up a bit to make it even more moist and delicious!Jump to Recipe
The thing is – you do start with a box cake mix – but once you jazz it up – nobody will be the wiser! By adding eggs, mayo and pineapple – you’re getting a super moist cake – then top it with the most delicious fluffy pineapple frosting!
What’s in Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
I discovered this recipe years ago – and always meant to make it! When I was tasked with dessert for Easter – I knew what I was making! It’s just such a bright and happy cake – perfect for welcoming spring. Inside you’ll find:
- Cake Ingredients:
- Yellow cake mix
- Crushed pineapple
- Frosting Ingredients:
- Cool Whip
- Vanilla pudding mix
- crushed pineapple
- mandarin oranges
I love that this cake is light and fluffy – but not overly sweet!
How do you make Pineapple Sunshine Cake?
Oh you won’t believe how easy it is! The cake takes about 5 minutes to make! Here’s the steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350 (the longest part of the prep!)
- Grease 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray
- In a mixing bowl, combine pineapple, cake mix, eggs and mayo – blend together with an electric mixer on medium speed
- Pour batter into pan
- Bake batter for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven
- While the cake is baking, in a separate bowl – fold together whipped topping, package of pudding mix, Mandarin oranges and the rest of the can of pineapple.
- Cover frosting and put in the refrigerator
- Once the cake is done, remove from the oven and let cool sufficiently to room temperature
- Frost cake and serve!
Tips & Tricks
Nope – use the eggs, mayo and pineapple instead
Yup! Any pineapple will do – just finely chop if using fresh and be sure to capture the juice. You’ll need 2 cups total.
Yup – again – just be sure you have the same amount.
Bake the cake batter in two 8-inch cake pans. Remove cooled layers from pans. Set first layer on a cake plate and spoon frosting on top of layer (about 1/3 of frosting – at least 1/2 inch thick). Stack second layer on top of frosting. Spoon remaining frosting on top and side of cake. Now you have your multilayer cake!
Other Pineapple Desserts
My favorite part of this dessert are the bites of pineapple and orange you get! Here are some other pineapple-y favorites!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
Pineapple Sunshine Cake with Oranges
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, mayo and 1/2 can pineapple with some juice1 box yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 cup mayo, 1/2 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
- Using a hand mixer, beat cake mix well and pour into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack and then refrigerate
- In a medium sized bowl, fold together Cool Whip, vanilla pudding mix, oranges and remaining pineapple with juice.1 8 oz container Cool Whip, 1 box Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix, 1 cup mandarin oranges, 1/2 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
- Cover and Refrigerate frosting until ready to frost and/or serve
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and decorate top with more mandarin oranges