If you like strawberries – this is the dessert for you! These strawberry brownies have strawberries in the brownie, strawberry batter, strawberry glaze and strawberries on top! Booyah – come to strawberry town!
I was inspired by my favorite local cupcakes – the strawberry cupcakes from Abby Girl Sweets. The thing I love about them is the chunks of real strawberry you get in every bite! So when I made strawberry brownies – that’s what I went for.
How to Make Strawberry Brownies using Cake Mix?
This is an easy way to get started with your strawberry brownies by using a strawberry cake mix. But I wanted to triple down on the strawberries. Start by using the cake mix and adding eggs and oil and FRESH STRAWBERRIES (you can also use frozen). I diced up two cups of strawberries and added them to the cake mix. This forms a VERY thick batter. You’ll need to press it into the pan vs. pour.
Then while the brownies are baking – I made up a strawberry glaze with powdered sugar, vanilla and smashed strawberries. I just mashed the strawberries with a fork to make them really juicy – this added enough liquid to the powdered sugar to make the glaze. You can even pour in a little of the juice from the strawberries if you have some – or just use strawberry preserves or jam.
These Strawberry Brownies were a perfect use for the fresh strawberries I just purchased. Every bite was strawberrylicious! So fresh and a perfect summer dessert. They are a fairly cakey brownie but do stay together. I warmed up the brownies before serving them to make that glaze even more gooey! Yum!
Summer is my favorite time of year for cooking – because there are so many fresh fruits and vegetables plentiful. Farmers markets are my favorite weekend stop! If you’re looking for other delicious fruit-filled desserts – I have you covered. Here are a few of my favorites:
The Strawberriest Strawberry Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 8×8 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix, oil, and eggs. Press cake mix dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. (It's very thick!! It's not a pourable batter)
- Bake brownies for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow brownies to cool for 10 minutes; lift carefully from pan using ends of parchment to lift.
- For the glaze, mix powdered sugar with the smashed strawberries (and extract if using) until smooth. It should be pourable but not watery.
- Pour glaze over brownies, spreading to edges so that glaze will drip down sides.
- Allow brownies to cool and glaze to set before cutting into squares.
- 8″ pans yield thicker brownies; 9″ pans yield thinner ones.
- Batter will be very thick; use a good mixer to mix and spatula to spread.
- Refrigerate baked and glazed brownies for an hour or so before cutting, and they will cut easier.