Fried Green Tomatoes are a staple in the south and I always snag some when I’m there visiting friends. I saw some beautiful green tomatoes at the farmers market and snatched them up! Time for homemade Air Fried Green Tomatoes!
I made sure they had a bit of a kick to them by making a dipping sauce with a Southern flair! The green tomatoes are more firm and stand up perfectly to the air fryer.
What tomatoes do you use for Fried Green Tomatoes?
Unripened green tomatoes will work for fried green tomatoes! The best tomatoes to use are the beefsteak variety. I highly recommend getting them from a local vendor or Farmer’s Market – they’re so much better. Green tomatoes are much more firm than ripe red tomatoes. Just look for nice sized tomatoes for slicing with a pretty green outside color.
How do you make Fried Green Tomatoes in the Air Fryer?
First – slice your green tomatoes – I prefer about 1/2 inch thickness – they hold up nicely at this thickness. After that – use the same breading process – with a little added seasoning – as my other air fried vegetable recipes. It’s the trio of flour, then egg, then panko. I added garlic powder to the flour for step 1 and coated the slices of tomato in flour. Next, dip the tomatoes in a quick mix of egg and milk. Finally coat the tomato slices in a mixture of panko, cayenne and paprika. Once coated – lay in air fryer and spritz with olive oil. Then air fry at 375 for 6 minutes – flipping halfway thru.
What dipping sauce goes with Fried Green Tomatoes?
Fried Green Tomatoes are much firmer and don’t have the sweetness of fresh ripe tomatoes. They haven’t developed that sweetness yet. I like to add a lot of seasonings to the breading and then have a little sauce for dipping as well.
While the tomato slices are in the air fryer, I mixed up the sauce! I mixed together buttermilk, Duke’s mayonnaise, my favorite barbecue sauce (Williamson Bros – they’re based in ATL) and a little lime juice. This comes out pretty runny – if you want it thicker – go heavier on the mayo or less on the buttermilk. If you don’t feel that fancy – feel free to dip in ranch or even a dollop of sour cream!
What to serve with Air Fried Green Tomatoes?
Air Fried Green Tomatoes are a great side for any veggie-less main dish. I love to serve it with steak or chicken from the grill! The crunch adds a little bit of carbs to go with your veggies.
Air Fryer Fried Vegetables
If you like these air fried green tomatoes – you’ll love these other air fryer veggie recipes!
- Air Fried Okra (Fresh and Store-Bought Frozen)
- Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Air Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 green tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Duke's Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Williamson Bros BBQ sauce
- 1/2 lime juiced
- salt & pepper
- Season tomato slices on both sides with salt and pepper
- Set up three breading trays: – Flour & garlic powder– eggs & milk, lightly beaten– Panko, cayenne, paprika
- Dredge tomatoes through the flour, then eggs, then panko
- Add tomato slices to the air fryer and spritz with olive oil
- Air fry at 375 for 3 min
- Flip and spritz with olive oil again
- Air fry at 375 for 3 min more
- While tomatoes are air frying, mix all dipping sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve Air Fried Green Tomatoes hot with dipping sauce!
Leave a Reply