Breaded okra is totally a staple in the south – but us northern folk still know how to fix it! I love making okra in the air fryer! Crunchy little nuggets of goodness! Last week, I was at the farmers market and found a bunch and decided I would make it for myself!
But this recipe also has a bonus recipe! That’s right – if you buy frozen breaded okra – I am sharing the best way to air fry that as well!
How to make air fryer okra
If you’re going to make it from scratch – it’s super simple! You just need fresh okra and then dice it in a chunky dice – about 1″ thick pieces. Then you’ll set up three trays for breading – first you need to roll in flour – I like to use Hooter’s Wing Breading – it has a ton of flavor – my best friend’s introduced me to it for fried fish and now I use it all the time. The 2nd tray will have a beaten egg with a little water in it and the third will have panko breadcrumbs. I like to use this Sweet & Spicy Panko when I can find it.
After you put the okra through the breading trays of Hooters breading – egg – panko – then you’re ready for the air fryer! You’ll spread them in a single layer and air fry at 375 for 12 minutes – shaking halfway through. They come out crunchy and ready to be dipped in ranch!
How to make frozen okra in the air fryer
This is even easier – you can buy frozen breaded okra at most stores and just pop it in the air fryer. You’ll air fry at 400 for 12 minutes. You’ll want to spray with olive oil when you put it in and shake halfway through and spray again. If you don’t spray with olive oil – it doesn’t get browned.
I made both fresh and frozen for this recipe and really liked them both! The frozen is easier and was only $1 at Kroger – hard to beat that! But the fresh was super crispy with the breading route that I took – and spicier! Yum!
Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
Here are some of my other favorite air fryer vegetable recipes:
Air Fryer Breaded Okra
Breaded Okra from Scratch
- 10-15 okra chunky dice
- 1 cup Hooter's Wing Breading (or regular flour)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup sweet & spicy panko breadcrumbs (or plain panko)
Frozen Okra from Bag
- 1/2 bag frozen breaded okra
Make Your Own Fried Breaded Okra
- Cut stem end off okra and then dice remainder into thick chunks approx 1 inch each
- Beat egg and stir in water
- Set up three breading trays with Hooter breading, egg/water and panko
- Toss okra into flour – then egg – then panko
- Add in a single layer in air fryer
- Air Fry at 375 for 12 minutes – shaking halfway through
Air Fried Frozen Okra
- Add 1/2 bag of frozen okra to air fryer
- Air Fry at 400 for 6 minutes
- Open air fryer, shake okra and spritz with olive oil spray
- Air Fry at 400 for 6 more minutes