How do you make chicken teriyaki in an air fryer?
This recipe is super simple – take your boneless skinless chicken thighs – a MUST for this recipe. When you take your thighs out of the package – rinse them off and they sort of unfold. Slice them in half length-wise to make long skinny pieces. Pitch them in a ziploc bag.
Then add all the marinade ingredients to the bag! There’s a lot of delicious flavors you’re mixing together: hoisin, pineapple juice, soy sauce and lots of seasonings! There are also TWO secret ingredients!
The first secret ingredient in Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki is a Korean BBQ sauce – now I went the easy route and got a Korean BBQ Wing Sauce from the grocery store – it was like $3. The authentic version uses a Korean BBQ sauce called Bull Head – it’s actually not that expensive – but when are you going to use it again?
The second secret ingredient is red food coloring!!! That’s why the darned chicken is always so pink – it’s fake! I threw in a few drops at the end of marinade to mush around but didn’t want my food soaking in red food coloring.
After the chicken has marinated overnight – you skewer them onto wood skewers. I used short 6″ skewers so that I could fit a couple rows into my air fryer. Then air fry at 350 for 10 minutes – flip and 10 minutes more.
These air fryer chicken teriyaki skewers are tender, juicy and delicious!! The marinade packs a punch – there’s so many flavors and they all shine through.
You can also use this chicken teriyaki marinade for any cut of chicken you have – whether it’s chicken breast, wings or legs – it will be delicious for any of them. I love the chicken thighs because they’re juicier and anything on a skewer is just more fun to eat!
What to serve with air fryer chicken teriyaki?
Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Pineapple Juice
- 1 Tbsp White Wine (or Sherry Wine – I had some leftover from my pumpkin pie!)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper
- 2 tsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 Tbsp Korean BBQ Sauce (or Bull Head BBQ Sauce)
- Optional Ingredients:
- Beet Juice or Red Food Coloring for color
- Lay out boneless skinless thighs on cutting board and cut them in half lengthwise and place in ziplock bag
- Mix remaining ingredients in bag with chicken and mush the marinade all around the thighs to mix ingredients together.
- Marinate in fridge overnight
- Using 6 inch wood skewers – skewer the chicken thigh pieces and set in air fryer.
- Air fry at 350 for 10 min – flip – air fry 10 min more
Re: Beet juice or red food coloring – this is completely optional and is SOLELY to give it the pink/red color. I added a few drops of red food coloring at the end of the marinade .