Air Fryer Lobster Tails are a new favorite in my house! I never knew it could be SO SIMPLE! I always thought of Lobster as such a fancy dish – I just never realized it was simple! A little snip snip – then a little butter and garlic – air fry and done! Plus – it’s on the table in under 10 minutes!Jump to Recipe
That’s the thing – in my mind – a lobster is like a big shrimp – and those cook very quickly – so it shouldn’t surprise me that lobster tails cook so quickly! I would recommend thawing them first – if you’re buying frozen! Then you can snip open the tail and make the whole process even easier.
Can Lobster Tails be cooked in an air fryer?
Yup! This would be a short post if the answer was no! They are done in less than 10 minutes!
How do you prep a lobster tail?
I was shocked at how simple it was! I just used kitchen scissors – but shears work a bit easier. Start at the open end of the tail and snip up the center of the tail to the base of the tail – but NOT through the tail.
Then you should try and pull the shell open a bit so the lobster meat is exposed. You can at this point, pull out the meat – leaving it attached at the tail – and rest it on top of the shell. I chose to leave it in the shell and just open it up a bit. Then, after air frying, I removed the lobster meat very easily!
Tips & Tricks
I would not recommend it. You need to cut open the shell so the meat is easy to access and that is much easier to do when thawed.
Put your lobster tail(s) in a ziploc bag. Then place the bag in a bowl of cold water. They’ll be thawed in about 30 minutes!
Similar to shrimp, the flesh should turn from clear to white. The shells will be bright orange as well! It’s so cool to see the change in just a few minutes.
Where to buy lobster tails online?
I recently discovered Fulton Fish Market and LOVE IT!!! New York City’s Fulton Fish Market is one of the oldest fish markets in the United States. Each night the colorful market would come to life with its cast of characters, eager chefs and curious tourists, all mingling over bushels of oysters, crates of lobsters and a kaleidoscope of sea creatures from near and far.Shop the Latest & Greatest NEW Selections at FultonFishMarket.com! Enjoy FREE 2 Day Delivery on Orders $99+
In 2005 the market relocated to its new home in the Hunts Point Bronx “Food Hive”. The new 400,000-square-foot market sees up to two million tonnes of fresh seafood arrive every day, making it the second largest fish market in the world (after Tokyo).
If there is any kind of fish or seafood you’re looking for – you can get it FRESH from Fulton Fish Market! I love that they have so many varieties of shellfish – King Crab is next on my list!
Here’s my ultimate list of best air fryer accessories – whether you have a basket- or oven-style! I’ve also included a price guide as well as my favorite recipes for those accessories.
What goes with lobster tails?
Lobster tails are fairly light – so I like to stay along those lines and serve with steamed broccoli and a light pasta or potato dish. Here are some favorites:
If you have a big enough air fryer – you can also make your side dishes in the air fryer! Just be sure that if your veg takes longer – you start it first. You can have them in together!
Air Fryer Lobster Tails
- If frozen, seal lobster tails in ziploc bag (squeeze out air) and place bag in cold water for about 30 minutes.
- Butterfly lobster tails by cutting through the shell to the tail (but not through the tail. Pop open parts of the shell to expose the lobster meat. You may have to break off parts of the shell to open it up a bit.
- Prepare butter mixture by placing 2 tbsp butter, salt and garlic in a glass bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds until melted. Stir.
- Place lobster tails in Air Fryer, open side up and baste with melted garlic butter
- Cook at 360 degrees for 3 minutes
- Open air fryer and baste again, cook for an additional 3 minutes
- If tails are larger than 3-4 oz, you will want to add 2-3 minutes for every few ounces
- While tails are air frying, melt 2 tbsp butter in glass – for 45 seconds in microwave. For “drawn” butter – pour out “clear” portion of butter into dipping bowl and stop before the cream comes out. Or you can spoon the cream off the top.
- Remove tails from air fryer, pull open shell with fingers and pull out lobster meat. It's basically only "attached" at the base of the tail – slip your fingers underneath and it pulls out easily
- Serve with drawn butter and lemon wedges