How to make tomato pie?
I love this recipe because it’s a crustless tomato pie – I’m just not much for making pie crust and feel like a cheater when I buy one – so this is a layered tomato casserole. The best part about this tomato pie is that it’s made with canned tomatoes – so you can have it any time of year!
You layer Ritz crackers, canned tomatoes, sauteed onions – then you top it with more crackers. The final layer is a mixture of mayo and cheeses that you spread across the top – then add another layer of crackers! It’s so easy!!
Once all the layers are done – you pop it in the oven for a perfect (and easy) baked tomato casserole. I love that baking dish that I got at this little local gift shop in Northern Kentucky – Bake your groove thing! How fun!
Can you make tomato pie ahead of time? Can you reheat tomato pie?
What is good to serve with tomato pie?
Copycat Mary Mac’s Tomato Pie
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweeet onion, THINLY sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 box Ritz Crackers (2.5 sleeves)
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp basil
How to cook Copycat Mary Mac’s Tomato Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 – spray a 1.5-2 qt casserole dish (8×8 square or 5×7 rectangle) with non-stick spray
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and carmelized, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Crush 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers in the bottom of the casserole dish (I prefer to crush by hand – I like the varied sizes of the pieces vs. pulverizing them with a food processor)
- Pour 1 can of tomatoes (undrained) over the crackers
- Spread 1/2 of the sautéed onions over the tomatoes
- Repeat the tomato/onion layers
- Crust 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers on top of the tomato/onion layer
- In a bowl, mix together mayo, cheddar, Parmesan and basil
- Spread this mixture on top of the cracker crumbs. You have to put it on in spoonfuls and then spread lightly with a knife otherwise it just sticks to your cracker crumbs. I laid the mayo mixture on a spot and then lightly spread it and repeated until I covered the crackers.
- Crush 1/2 sleeve of Ritz over top of the mayo mixture
- Bake for 30 minutes
Leave a Reply