One of my favorite quick serve meals is empanadas! These pulled pork empanadas are on the table in 30 minutes – with none of the mess of making dough from scratch! Plus I’ve got 3 different filling options that will make everyone happy!
Ingredients for Pulled Pork Empanadas
Traditional empanadas can take a lot of time – but I’ve got a super easy short cut for you – puff pastry! I got a roll of puff pastry and some leftover pulled pork and went to town! These little guys are crispy, filling and delicious! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Leftover Pulled Pork – I made a big batch on my Traeger and now I have little bags in the freezer I pull out whenever I’m hungry! You can also use the pre-cooked kind in the store (i.e. Curly’s).
- Puff Pastry – No worries about making dough – this flaky pastry is available at any grocery store – usually with two sheets
- Filling Ideas – I came up with three different fillings for these guys:
- apple pie filling
- cole slaw
- Gouda cheese
- Egg – you’ll basted the outside of the pastry with a beaten egg for that beautiful golden brown
Here are the filling ideas I used matched to the photo above:
- Top: Pulled Pork + Coleslaw – yes I put coleslaw (from the deli case) in with the pork before I cooked it! It doesn’t get mushy at all and it adds a great crunch to the filling!
- Middle: Pulled Pork + Apple Slice – I had some leftover apple pie filling and just put a slice of apple on top of the pulled pork. Apples & pork go so well together – this was a natural pairing and was delicious! (You could also use pineapple!) This was my favorite! The fruit added so much flavor!
- Bottom: Pulled Pork + Gouda – I had some leftover shredded Gouda and topped the pork with a little cheese! This made the inside of the empanada cheesy and meaty! I dipped this one in sour cream when it was done.
How to make Pulled Pork Empanadas
They were super simple to make and pretty fun! The kids can even get involved and put their favorite fillings inside. Here’s what you do:
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut circles out of the pastry.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of pulled pork on top of the pastry circle.
- If your pulled pork is not sauced, you can add some of your favorite bbq sauce
- Add 1 tbsp of your favorite add-on topping (cole slaw, gouda or apple pie filling)
- Fold pastry circle over and pinch edges together with the tines of a fork.
- Lay empanadas on prepared baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper
- Baste empanadas with a beaten egg wash
- Bake at 425º for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from oven and serve with extra cole slaw, bbq sauce and sour cream
Pulled Pork Empanadas – 3 Ways
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1 lb pulled pork
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup cole slaw
- 1/2 cup apple pie filling
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Cut out rounds of puff pastry with a bowl and set on the parchment paper1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- Top with 1-2 Tbsp of Curly’s Pulled Pork & your topping choice1 lb pulled pork, 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese, 1/2 cup cole slaw, 1/2 cup apple pie filling
- Fold circle over and use edge of fork to pinch edges together
- Brush tops with beaten egg1 egg
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until tops are golden brown
- Serve with bbq sauce, cole slaw and sour cream for extra dipping!