This Pulled Pork Casserole is one of those comfort food classic recipes! You’ve got loaded hashbrowns PLUS juicy pulled pork and top it all off with cheese! I couldn’t get enough! It’s also super easy to make – which is always helpful on a weeknight when you don’t want to spend all night in the kitchen.
This is also a great way to use up leftover pulled pork – or you can use pre-packaged pulled pork. I had a container of the pre-cooked in my freezer and this worked perfectly for this delicious cheesy recipe.
I like using pork in my weekly meals – because it’s packed full of protein! There’s more than 20 grams of protein in just 3 ounces of pork! More than 3500 family farms in Ohio raise enough pork to feed about 25 million people. So when you buy pork at the grocery store or the farmers market, you are supporting Ohio farm families that produce that pork.
Pulled Pork Casserole Ingredients
You can go a lot of different ways with pulled pork casserole – I decided to use the bag of shredded hashbrowns I had in the freezer for the base of this great recipe that the whole family will love!
- frozen shredded hash browns – I used about 2/3 bag of frozen shredded hashbrowns – but you could easily just do 1/2 bag or a whole bag – depending on the size of your family
- whole kernel corn – I used frozen for this – but canned would be fine as well
- diced onion & bell pepper – my favorite for this are yellow onions as they’re a little sweeter and then a red or orange bell pepper – but any color bell peppers will work
- grated jalapeños – I’ve been grating jalapenos for recipes lately – it’s so easy – you get all the spice and it’s very little work. Just run it on the cheese side of your grater!
- If you don’t like it spicy – leave them out!
- melted butter
- salt & pepper
- shredded cheese – I used Colby Jack for this recipe but use whatever you have: cheddar cheese would be my second choice
- pulled pork – as I mentioned you could use leftover shredded pork or the pre-packaged kind – I tend to use sauceless so I can add the sauce of my choice to the recipe
- BBQ sauce – because I used sauceless pulled pork, I was able to use Williamson Bros barbecue sauce which is my favorite – such an amazing flavor! Everybody has personal preferences for sauce – so use your favorite!
How to make this Pork Casserole recipe
This is so easy to make!!! You’ll pre-bake the hashbrowns – then add the pork – and back to the oven. Simple!
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish (3 qt) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, corn, onion, bell pepper, jalapeños, butter, salt, pepper and 1 cup of the cheese. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Toss pulled pork in sauce. Spread pulled pork mixture over hash brown mixture and top with remaining cheese. Pop back in the oven for 20 minutes more baking time for the perfect cheese melt.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon and serve! You could even add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of diced green onions on top if you like!
I also gotta tell you about this new knife I got – it’s a Nakano Chef’s Knife ($68). They sent this to me and WOWEE – it glides through everything like butter!!!! Right now – they’re offering 10% off to Food Hussy followers with code FOODHUSSY.
I’m not kidding with this one – I’ve switched to using this knife 100% – it’s just amazing! If you like to cook – you definitely should consider upgrading. I can’t believe how much more fun it is to chop veggies! (And I usually sharpen my knives – so it’s not just that!)
Variations for pulled pork casserole
You could also mix this easy recipe up with these great options:
- Tater Tots – swap out hash browns for tater tots
- Add Veggies – you could also add mushrooms or cauliflower florets to the hashbrown mixture
- Beans – you could add some kidney or black beans to this hashbrown mixture for more texture & protein
- Cheese – a variety of cheese would be great like cheddar cheese, swiss cheese or even velveeta!
- Noodles – you could change out the potatoes with cooked macaroni – if you did that – you would skip the first 20 minute bake and just mix together the cooked noodles with the veggies and then top with pork and cheese for a yummy pulled pork mac dish!
- Seasonings – add more seasonings like garlic powder or chili powder
- Spice Level – if you want a little more spice – you can swap out green chilies or spicier peppers. If you don’t like spice, leave out the jalapenos!
How to store & reheat pulled pork casserole
The whole casserole makes enough for 8 – so it’s great for a big family. That said – you might have leftovers! Store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to a week – or freeze up to three months. Reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
What to make with Leftover Pulled Pork
Every time I make pulled pork – I have a bunch of leftover meat! So the next day – I’m trying to figure out what to do with all of it? You can only eat so many pork sandwiches! Here are a few great ideas!
- Pulled Pork Pasta Salad
- Pulled Pork Tacos
- Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sliders
- 20 more recipes for leftover pulled pork!
More Pork Recipes
Pulled Pork Casserole
- 1 30 oz bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1-2 jalapenos grated
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese grated
- 1 lb cooked pulled pork
- 1 cup Williamson Bros. BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 400º. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, corn, onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, butter, salt & pepper and 1 cup of cheese.1 30 oz bag frozen shredded hash browns, 1 cup whole kernel corn, 1/2 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1-2 jalapenos, 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 cups Colby Jack cheese
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, toss pulled pork in sauce.1 lb cooked pulled pork, 1 cup Williamson Bros. BBQ sauce
- Remove casserole from oven and spread pork mixture over hash brown mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese.2 cups Colby Jack cheese
- Bake at 400º for 20 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve with diced green onion and a dollop of sour cream.
Leave a Reply