Shrimp Louie is a salad you’ll often find in California made with shrimp, lettuce, egg, avocado and juicy tomatoes. The dressing is similar to Thousand Island dressing. The Shrimp Louie Salad Recipe originated on the West coast in the early 1900s. You will also find people swap out the shrimp and make a Crab Louie Salad (um yes!).Jump to Recipe
This salad is perfect for Mother’s Day or any other spring day – the pastel colors just scream spring to me! You’ve got fresh shrimp, crisp vegetables, creamy avocado and the classic Shrimp Louie salad dressing – it’s so delicious!
Shrimp Louie Recipe Ingredients
This super easy recipe has lots of great toppings and is crisp and refreshing – one of my favorites!!
- chili sauce – you could also swap out with cocktail sauce
- sweet yellow onion
- coarse sea salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- olive oil
- raw XL shrimp peeled and deveined – you can use any kind of raw shrimp – from the tiny bay shrimp to the jumbo shrimp I used
- ripe avocado
- tomato – you can use a small tomato or cherry tomatoes
- salad greens – you can use iceberg, romaine, spring mix or butter lettuce
- hard boiled eggs – I make mine in the air fryer!
How to make the signature Shrimp Louie Dressing?
This creamy dressing has things that you already likely have in your kitchen! You could definitely make this ahead of time and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl – add mayonnaise (always Duke’s for me), ketchup, chili sauce, salt, Worcestershire sauce and finely diced onions.
- Then grab your whisk and get to mixing! You really want to make sure everything is mixed together really well.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
The Shrimp Louie salad dressing recipe is really simple to make and I had enough extra for another couple of salads! I popped it in the fridge in an air tight container and it was good for a week.
How to make grilled shrimp for Shrimp Salad?
Shrimp is one of the easiest proteins to make but I think many people overcook it! Always use RAW shrimp – peeled and deveined is the easiest.
- First, drain the shrimp, rinse with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, add shrimp and sprinkle with salt and your favorite seasoning (I like Garlic & Herb Old Bay Seasoning).
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high.
- When the oil is hot, add your shrimp.
- Watch it closely – it will be done in 2-3 minutes. Once it sears on one side – flip and sear the other side.
- Once the shrimp is opaque (whitish/pink) – it’s done!
How to make a Shrimp Louie Salad?
It’s easy to put together this vibrant shrimp louie salad once you have your shrimp & dressing ready. For presentation purposes, I like to plate this salad in individual salad bowls so everyone has their own salad rather than make a big one all at once. You could also do all together if you have a large serving platter.
- In each salad bowl, start with a bed of crispy lettuce – I like to use iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Top it with chopped tomato, avocado slices, sliced hard boiled egg, freshly cooked shrimp
- Drizzle the Shrimp Louie dressing over the top
How would I make it a Crab Louie Salad?
Next time I am definitely making this into a Crab Louie Salad. It’s super easy by swapping out the shrimp for crab meat. You could use the imitation crab and coarsely chop it or use lump crab meat and spread it on the top when ready to serve. Next time I make the crab or shrimp version, I will also add some sliced green onions for a little crunch as well.
Shrimp Louie Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet yellow onion finely diced
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Garlic & Herb seasoning
- 1/2 pound raw XL shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 small tomato diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs sliced
- In a bowl whisk together the first 6 ingredients until smooth. Keep in the fridge until ready to use. (makes 1 cup dressing)1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup chili sauce, 2 tbsp sweet yellow onion, 1 pinch coarse sea salt, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Drain and rinse shrimp. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and Old Bay.1 tbsp Old Bay Garlic & Herb seasoning, 1/2 pound raw XL shrimp
- In a pan, warm the oil and add the shrimp2 tbsp olive oil
- Cook until fully cooked, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Tear romaine between two bowls and drizzle dressing onto lettuce and toss lightly. Top with tomato, shrimp, sliced avocado and sliced hard boiled egg.1 ripe avocado, 1 small tomato, 1 head romaine lettuce, 2 hard boiled eggs
- Store any leftover dressing in the fridge.