Smoked cream cheese is the appetizer you never knew you needed! It’s so simple and so delicious! I made a savory and a dessert option and still can’t decide which I like better! They’re also good hot or cold. Perfect appetizer for any afternoon of grilling.
A lot of people ask me, “What does smoked cream cheese taste like?” – well it’s just a smoother warmed up cream cheese with this light hint of smoke in the flavor and the smell. It really tastes like whatever you season it with.Jump to Recipe
What’s in Smoked Cream Cheese?
Well – first off – you’ve got cream cheese! Then – it’s sort of up to you! A super simple appetizer dish is just to pour a jar of “jelly” over the top of cream cheese and serve with crackers. You can use a pepper jelly, bacon jam or anything like that. Some of my favorites are:
- Dalmatia Fig Jam
- Robert Rothschild Farm Pineapple Habanero Glaze
- Stonewall Kitchen Maple Bacon Onion Jam
But – if you’d like to make something of your own with just a few seasonings – I’ve got you covered there too!
Smoked Savory Ranch Cream Cheese
This one is super simple – but really delicious with veggies and crackers! In addition to cream cheese, you just need:
- olive oil
- Ranch Seasoning Mix (dry recipe here)
Smoked Cream Cheese with Cinnamon & Sugar
I love the ranch but this one took me by surprise and I devoured it!!!! It’s perfect with apples and graham crackers. All you need (besides the cream cheese) is:
That’s it – these are super simple – so you can put them together in just a few minutes.
How do you smoke cream cheese on the Traeger?
I paired this with some bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin I was smoking – two birds, one grill kind of thing! This only takes 90 minutes – so it’s great to get your main dish smoking and then add this a bit later.
- Turn Traeger onto Smoke with the lid open – make sure your pellets are full!
- Once the smoke dissipates, turn to 225 degrees and shut the lid. It’ll take about 10 minutes for the Traeger to preheat.
- Score cream cheese with a boning knife
- Season as you like. Side note: if using a jam – try and keep it on the block of cream cheese and you might lightly spray the pan you’re using – it can be a difficult clean-up if you don’t.
- Once the Traeger is preheated and cream cheese is seasoned, pop your the pans on the smoker.
- Smoke for 90 minutes – it’s perfect to remove before your main dishes are done and have some yummy snacks before dinner!
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
I suggest a small oval baking dish – but just know – it’s going to be covered in soot when you smoke it. So you can also use a cast iron pan – no smoke will show on that! Or you can always use a disposable aluminum foil pan.
It’s great to serve with crackers – I love the Toasted Onion crackers. If you’re doing a savory – carrots, celery and green peppers are great! If you’re doing a sweet – go with graham crackers and apple or pear slices!
Microwave – just reheat the portion you’re going to eat for maybe 30 seconds, Air Fryer – place in a dish and reheat for 3-4 minutes at 250 degrees, Oven – place in a baking dish and heat at 250 for 20 minutes.
Well – you sure could bake it but it’s not going to have that authentic smoky flavor and scent. But it will heat up and become nice & smooth!
About 90 minutes! Don’t do much more – I did 2.5 hours the first time and it was too much – got all dried out!
What to serve with Smoked Cream Cheese
Really – you just need something to scoop with for this – I would go with:
- veggies – carrots, peppers, celery
- savory crackers – avoid Ritz – they break too easily – think heartier crackers!
- fruits – apples or pears
- sweet crackers – graham crackers are perfect
Other delicious recipes for the Traeger
- Smoked Queso (it’s legendary!)
- Traeger Smoked Chicken Breast
- Smoked Turkey Breast (Thanksgiving is just around the corner!)
Traeger Smoked Cream Cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2-3 tbsp ranch seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- green & red pepper slices
Cinnamon Sugar & Honey
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- apple slices
- graham crackers
- Set Traeger to Smoke for five minutes with lid open. Once smoke dissipates, change temp to 225.
- While Traeger preheats – prep your cream cheese. In a small baking dish, set your block of cream cheese.8 oz cream cheese
- Using a boning knife, slice angular lines to make crosshatches in your cream cheese. The cream cheese expands while it smokes so this allows it the room to breathe and open up.
- Drizzle olive oil over top of cream cheese2 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkle with ranch seasoning mix2-3 tbsp ranch seasoning mix
Cinnamon Sugar with Honey
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon – sprinkle over block of cream cheese
- Drizzle with honey
Smoking on the Traeger
- Smoke on Traeger at 225 for 90 minutes
- Serve Savory with crackers & veggies. Serve Honey with sliced apples and graham crackers