I decided to create my own version and see how it went. Yup – there’s mushrooms in there!
I’m not much for patience – and I had this in my cupboard so I decided to use the Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice that had been taking up cupboard space. The nice thing is – I could just open this package up and add it at the end.
First the cooking – I diced up carrots, onion and celery – the key is to dice them all about the same size so they cook evenly. I always saute in olive oil.
Once the veggies are a little soft – add thyme and flour. Stir so all the veggies are coated – this will help thicken the soup once you add the liquid.
Add in chicken broth, mushrooms and cooked chicken. I bought a rotisserie chicken the day before and used some of that. End it with heavy cream and the Uncle Ben’s rice and simmer for a few minutes and you’re ready to go!
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
* Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice – Wild Rice
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1/2 onion, diced
* 2 medium carrots, diced
* 2 stalks celery, diced
* 1 tsp thyme
* 1/3 cup flour
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 2 cups rotisserie chicken
* 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* In large pot, add olive oil and heat. Saute onions, carrots and celery until softened.
* Add thyme and flour to sauteed veggies. Cook & stir for a couple of minutes until veggies are coated.
* Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil
* Add rotisserie chicken, mushrooms, salt & pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes
* Add Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice and cream. Bring soup to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes