This Creamy Autumn Wild Rice Soup is absolutely the perfect step into fall we all need! It starts with tender chicken, LOTS of veggies, including sweet potato, kale and mushrooms, and finishes with chicken broth and cream – for a perfectly balanced comforting bowl of yum!
What You Will ❤️ About Autumn Wild Rice Soup
- Local Copycat – I created this recipe after falling in love with a creamy chicken & wild rice soup at a favorite downtown restaurant. I added an autumn spin on this dish by adding kale and sweet potatoes.
- Comforting – Cream soups always comfort me! I make this every fall & winter. This soup tastes like a warm hug.
- Veggies – There are loads of vegetables in this soup – so it’s got lots of good stuff in it as well.
Autumn Wild Rice Soup Ingredients
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is a simple dish – but making it creamier with an autumnal twist – is super easy too! Here’s what you’ll need:
- olive oil – any oil will do but I use olive oil 99% of the time
- onion, carrot & celery – the holy trinity! for the onion, you can use one small white onion or yellow sweet onion
- sweet potato – nothing says fall like sweet potatoes!
- garlic – I admit – I’m a big fan of the jarlic – but use garlic cloves if you prefer
- mushrooms – I typically use button, but portobello or any mixture of mushrooms works
- kale – sneaky way to get great vitamins in! be sure to pull the leaves off the thick stems and then tear so you have a couple of large handfuls of kale for the soup
- thyme – fresh or dried leaves
- all purpose flour – this will help thicken the soup just a bit
- chicken broth – I really love the Zoup brand – they’re a restaurant that has now branched out to selling their broths – OMG – so much better than the Swanson’s brand!!
- shredded chicken – you can use leftover rotisserie chicken or poach 2-3 chicken breasts and chop
- cooked rice – you can use any variety you like but I like a long grain & wild rice blend
- heavy cream – for that creaminess
There are some easy swaps for ingredients and cooking method – here are some ideas:
- Whole Chicken – rather than buying a rotisserie chicken – make your own whole roasted chicken in the air fryer or a crock pot!
- Butternut Squash – this is a great addition or swap for the sweet potatoes
- Slow Cooker – once you saute all the veggies, you can add the ingredients to the bowl of a large slow cooker to finish it off
- Vegan – if you want to make this vegan, leave out the chicken and swap the cream for 3 cups coconut milk and chicken broth for 3 cups vegetable stock
How to make Autumn Wild Rice Soup recipe
This Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup is easy to make – saute a bunch of vegetables and then add the rest of the ingredients. My favorite way to make a big pot of soup is in a Dutch oven – one pot meal!
- Dice everything! Onion, carrot, celery ribs, sweet potato, mushroom – get that all done to start with!
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven (or a large stockpot) over medium-high heat – add the onion, carrot, celery and sweet potato (the harder veggies) – sauté for 5 min
- Your oil is likely gone at this point, so add 1/4 cup of water
- Add garlic & mushroom – give a quick stir
- While that’s going rough chop your kale and add it to the pot.
- I take leaves off the stems and then chop them into bite-sized pieces
- Add thyme and flour to your veggies so they’re all coated – this will help thicken the soup
- Pour in your chicken stock and water, whisk to combine, top with the lid and bring to a simmer
- While that’s getting bubbly – rough chop your chicken. I bought a rotisserie chicken and took it all apart and diced about half of it for the soup.
- Add the chicken, salt & pepper to the soup and simmer for 10 minutes
- You can cook the long grain & wild rice yourself ahead of time – or buy pre-cooked. I don’t really like pre-cooked rice on its own – but it’s perfect as a quick hack for this soup!
- Stir rice into the soup and add the cream. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle up big bowls of this delicious soup and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
Whatever you like! I like Zoup bone broth because I think it has the MOST flavor.
That’s fine – I would still cook your rice separately and add at the end. Otherwise you’ll need a lot more liquid so the rice doesn’t soak it all up.
Sure! I would suggest sauteeing the veggies and then add to the crock pot. You can add everything to the crock pot – except the rice and cream – and cook for 3.5 hours on low. Then add cream & rice and cook for another 30 minutes.
Creamy Autumn Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled, diced
- 1-2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 small sweet potato peeled, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1-2 cups kale roughly chopped (2-3 stalks)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp thyme leaves fresh if possible
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups Zoup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups rotisserie/leftover chicken diced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain & wild rice blend
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a Dutch oven, add olive oil and heat on medium high1/4 cup olive oil
- Add onion, carrot, celery and sweet potato. Saute 4-5 minutes until softened1/2 onion, 1 carrot, 1-2 stalks celery, 1/2 small sweet potato
- Oil should be gone, Add 1/4 cup water and stir1/4 cup water
- Lower heat to Medium Low and add garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 1 min1 tbsp minced garlic, 8 oz mushrooms
- Add Kale and saute for 2-3 minutes1-2 cups kale
- Add Thyme and flour to veggies. Reduce heat to medium low (3/10) and stir until veggies are coated1 tsp thyme leaves, 1/3 cup flour
- Pour in chicken stock plus 1 cup water and bring to a simmer4 cups Zoup Chicken Broth, 1 cup water
- Add chicken, salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes2 cups rotisserie/leftover chicken, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper
- Add cooked rice and stir until broken up. Add cream and simmer 5 min more1 tsp black pepper, 2 cups cooked long grain & wild rice blend, 1 1/2 cups heavy cream