This Italian Grinder sandwich is crunchy, saucy, meaty and cheesy! After one bite, you’ll understand why I love it so much! The recipe is fairly simple – and the number one thing you need is a GOOD Italian sausage – that makes the recipe!
I first came across grinder sandwiches when I lived in Iowa. Des Moines actually has quite a few Italian restaurants and the most amazing deli, Graziano Brothers. They told us where to get the best grinder sandwich and we never looked back.
Fresh Italian bread – stuffed full with this concoction of their Italian sausage, ground beef and pizza sauce. Then it’s topped with mozzarella cheese and baked until its all melty and ready to get IN MY BELLY!
What’s in an Italian Grinder Sandwich?
- Italian sausage – I would try if you can to get some from a meat market/butcher rather than the grocery store – if you get links – you’ll want to cut the casing off and crumble the sausage
- Ground Beef
- Green Pepper
- Pizza sauce
- Italian bread – I like to use the ones that are sort of pre-baked – you take them home and pop them in the oven for 15-20 min
- Mozzarella cheese
How do you make a grinder sandwich?
A lot of folks make the filling in a crock pot – and you could definitely do that – but I just used my stove top. Here’s all there is to it:
- Preheat oven to 400
- Brown sausage and ground beef over medium heat in a skillet about half way done
- Add diced green pepper and onion, brown until meats are not pink
- Add seasonings and pizza sauce
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Slice the Italian bread across the length so you have a top and bottom half.
- Using a fork, scoop some of the insides out of both sides
- Lay out a piece of aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray (don’t forget this step!)
- Fill the base of the bread with the filling
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
- Put the top of the bread on and wrap the sandwich tightly with foil
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes
- Open foil packets and brush top of bread with butter and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt
- Bake with foil packets open for five minutes more
- Remove from foil and serve!
Other delicious hot sandwich recipes
- Maid Rite Sliders with Cheese
- Copycat Panera Frontega Chicken Sandwich
- Roly Poly Chicken Popper
- Penn Station Philly Cheesesteak Sub
- Firehouse Subs New York Steamer
Copycat Italian Grinder
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 14 oz pizza sauce
- 2 loaves french bread sliced in half horizontally & vertically
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- 2-4 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- If sausage has casings remove them and crumble into pan with the ground beef. Brown both meats together until no longer pink. Drain fat.1/2 lb Italian sausage, 1/2 lb ground beef
- And pepper & onion1/2 onion, 1/2 green pepper
- add garlic salt, red pepper flakes & pizza sauce.1 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 14 oz pizza sauce
- stir to combine and heat for 5 min
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut the split French loaf into 2 separate sandwiches. Repeat with second loaf.2 loaves french bread
- Pull a small amount of bread out of the bottom and top of the loaf to make a bowl for the meat.
- Fill the bowl with meat mixture.
- Cover the meat mixture with shredded Mozzarella cheese.1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Place the top of loaf onto the sandwich
- Lay out foil for each sandwich and spray with non-stick spray. Lay sandwich on foil and wrap. Bake for 10 minutes in the oven
- Open foil up and brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake 5 min more with the foil packet open2-4 tbsp butter, 2 tsp garlic salt
- Remove from foil packets and serve
Leave a Reply