This Italian Grinder sandwich is crunchy, saucy, meaty and cheesy! After one bite, you’ll understand why I love it so much! The recipe is fairly simple – and the number one thing you need is a GOOD Italian sausage – that makes the recipe!
What You Will ❤️ About Grinder Sandwiches
I first came across grinder sandwiches when I lived in Iowa. Des Moines actually has quite a few Italian restaurants and the most amazing deli, Graziano Brothers. They told us where to get the best grinder sandwich and we never looked back.
- Crusty Bread – I love a delicious crusty bread stuffed full of ingredients!
- Melty Cheese – It really doesn’t get any better than the cheese pull.
- Quick – These sandwiches are ready to eat in less than 30 minutes!
What’s in an Italian Grinder Sandwich?
You may have also heard about a tiktok viral recipe for a Grinder sandwich that is more like an Italian sub with deli meats, tomatoes, red onions and more – but this is an AUTHENTIC grinder sandwich!!
- Italian sausage – I recommend getting Italian sausage from a meat market/butcher rather than the grocery store. The taste is so much better!! If you buy sausage links – you’ll want to cut the casing off and crumble the sausage.
- Ground Beef
- Green Pepper
- Seasonings: Oregano, garlic salt, red pepper flakes
- Pizza sauce
- Italian bread – I like to use the hoagie rolls that are sort of pre-baked – you take them home and pop them in the oven for 15-20 min
- Mozzarella cheese – you could also substitute provolone cheese
How do you make a grinder sandwich?
A lot of folks make the hoagie filling in a crock pot – and you could definitely do that – but I just used my stove top. Here’s all there is to it:
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Brown sausage and ground beef over medium heat in a skillet about half way done
- Add diced green pepper and onion, brown until meats are not pink
- Add seasonings and pizza sauce
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Slice the bread roll lengthwise so you have a top and bottom half.
- Using a fork, scoop some of the insides out of both sides
- Lay out a piece of aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray (don’t forget this step!)
- Fill the base of the bread with the sausage filling
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
- Put the top half of the bread on and wrap the sandwich tightly with foil
- Place sandwiches on a sheet pan and bake at 400º for 10 minutes
- Open foil packets and brush top of bread with butter and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt
- Leave foil packet open and bake five minutes more
- Remove from foil and serve!
What to serve with grinders?
Other delicious hot sandwich recipes
Copycat Italian Grinder
- If sausage has casings remove them and crumble into pan with the ground beef. Brown both meats together until no longer pink. Drain fat.1/2 lb Italian sausage, 1/2 lb ground beef
- And pepper & onion1/2 onion, 1/2 green pepper
- add garlic salt, red pepper flakes & pizza sauce.1 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 14 oz pizza sauce, 1/2 tsp oregano
- stir to combine and heat for 5 min
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut the split French loaf into 2 separate sandwiches. Repeat with second loaf.2 loaves french bread
- Pull a small amount of bread out of the bottom and top of the loaf to make a bowl for the meat.
- Fill the bowl with meat mixture.
- Cover the meat mixture with shredded Mozzarella cheese.1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Place the top of loaf onto the sandwich
- Lay out foil for each sandwich and spray with non-stick spray. Lay sandwich on foil and wrap. Bake for 10 minutes in the oven
- Open foil up and brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake 5 min more with the foil packet open2-4 tbsp butter, 2 tsp garlic salt
- Remove from foil packets and serve