What makes this queso so good? It’s creamy and chunky – and it’s because you actually saute the veggies in butter BEFORE you add in the cheese! The other key is low and slow – with the veggies and the cheese. So don’t fire that stove on high for pete’s sake! Take your time – it’s all of five minutes and it’s worth it!
The restaurant version is made on a double boiler but I have a little mini-crock pot that I got for like $5 from Kohl’s around Christmas. It was so simple this way and I was anticipating that first bite – would it be the same? Would it take me home? Would my search finally be over?????
Yes!!!! The search is over – this is perfection!!!! This is creamy and chunky and depending on how many jalapenos you put in – it’s spicy or not! It is queso perfection! You will never make another queso again! Making this with fresh veggies makes it so much better! You will thank me!!!
Don’t miss my other favorite Copycat recipes for Carlos O’Kellys! I love their salsa and their chicken fajitas!
Copycat Carlos O’Kellys Queso
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cups diced onion (approx. 1/2 onion)
- 1/2 cups diced tomato (approx. 1/2 tomato)
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeños canned
- 1 lbs Velveeta
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in saute pan
- Add garlic powder and all veggies
- Cook until soft on a low temperature (the longer and slower the better)
- Cut Velveeta into cubes and put in a mini crock pot – add veggies.
- Cook on low until Velveeta melts and then add sour cream – stir and keep at low to serve