Weight Watchers Chicken Broccoli casserole has all the flavors you love but so much less fat and calories! Even the picky eater in your family will love this simple dish! Swapping out the regular rice for cauliflower rice is a great start – but I have a couple other tweaks you’ll have to check out! This serves a whole family or leaves you with leftovers for a quick lunch!
The original recipe version of this classic casserole is normally laden with cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, melted butter, mayo and lots of cheese. This version lightens everything up by using fat free COM soup, plain Greek yogurt and just a touch of cheese and not one tablespoon of butter!
How do you make Chicken Broccoli Casserole?
This is an easy recipe that goes together quickly – simply layer the ingredients and into the oven your chicken casserole goes! You might not even have to head to the grocery store for these ingredients!
- Spray your dish with cooking spray
- Precook your cauliflower rice according to package directions – if you like it firmer – you could put it in frozen on the bottom of the casserole dish. Just break it up so it’s spread evenly.
- If you’re not a fan of cauliflower rice, you could use brown rice but your calories will go up
- Next up – steam your broccoli florets (and mushrooms if you like) – cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a microwave steamer (this is the one I have) with 1-2 tablespoons of water. Microwave for 1:30 minutes to cook broccoli. Layer the broccoli on top of the rice.
- In a large bowl, mix together fat free cream of mushroom soup (or fat-free cream of chicken soup if you don’t like mushrooms), fat free ricotta and plain fat free Greek yogurt. The yogurt for sour cream swap comes in SO HANDY and makes a creamy sauce with much less fat!
- Add in your cooked chicken breast (you can use any leftover chicken if you like!) but into bite size pieces. I’ve got a tip for you on how to make that much more quickly below!
- Spoon the soup/chicken mixture over the veggies
- You could also add in your favorite seasonings here – like garlic powder, onion powder or rosemary
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350.
- Open the oven and sprinkle a little grated cheese over the top of the casserole and bake until melted. I like to use broil to melt quickly and get a little browning.
- I used mini-babybel light cheese to keep the point down instead of parmesan cheese or a low fat cheddar cheese
- You could also sprinkle a couple tablespoons of bread crumbs on top for a little crunch (much less fat than potato chips!)
How can you quickly cook chicken breasts for recipes?
Your Air Fryer!!! I put skinless chicken breast into the air fryer at 350 for 12-14 minutes – depending on the size and thickness – and that’s it!!! No olive oil needed! It comes out SO juicy – and so much quicker than poaching or baking! Check the temp to determine doneness – I take them out around 145/150 – then let them rest and they’ll come up to temp. I mean – look at how juicy they are!!!
You can also make a whole chicken in the slow cooker or air fryer – it tastes just like rotisserie chicken – but you know exactly what’s in it. Then you’ll have a big bag of shredded chicken for a quick meal another night of the week!
How do you reheat casserole recipes?
Frankly the microwave is still the best way to reheat casseroles if you’re just making one serving. If you have a larger pan to reheat – then you can reheat in the oven or air fryer oven at 300 for 20 minutes.
How many Weight Watchers points are in Chicken Broccoli Casserole?
Weight Watchers has a new personal points plan that you’ll need to check on your own for points. But, this comfort food casserole has 6 servings and if you’re familiar with the previous plans, this recipe had 4 ww points on Green Plan and 2 points each on Blue & Purple Plan.
More Delicious Recipes for a Healthy Dinner
Side Dishes for Healthy Casseroles
You can do more than just make a simple green salad on the side – I’ve got lots of side dishes for you!
- Air Fryer Cheesy Tomatoes
- Olive Garden Signature Salad (ok – yes it’s a green salad but it’s more than simple!)
- Apple Goat Cheese Salad
- More side dishes for casseroles…
Weight Watchers Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 2 chicken breasts uncooked
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 3 cups broccoli uncooked
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
- 2 rounds Babybel Mini Light cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking dish with nonstick spray
- Cook chicken breast. – Oven: Bake at 350 for 25 min– Air Fryer: AF at 350 for 12-14 min
- Steam broccoli and mushrooms in microwave for 1:30 minutes– If you have a microwave steamer – great! If not, put in a bowl with 1-2 Tbsp water and cover with Glad Press n Seal
- Prepare cauliflower rice according to package directions. If you like it firmer – you can put it straight in the baking dish frozen. Just break it up first so you can spread it.
- Spread cauliflower rice in bottom of baking dish. Top with broccoli and mushrooms.
- Dice chicken.
- In a bowl, mix soup, yogurt and ricotta. Fold in diced chicken.
- Pour chicken/soup mixture over broccoli
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes
- Turn oven to broil. Sprinkle cheese on top and broil for 3 minutes until cheese is melted and starts to brown
- Sprinkle with a pinch of coarse sea salt when you serve