In another “as seen on TikTok”, we swapped out hashbrowns for the bread and made Avocado Hashbrown Toast! You’re going to love it!! It’s a perfect brunch favorite! The crunchy hashbrown was really tasty and my quick avocado mash was cool and refreshing.
This morning breakfast idea is also grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free! There are a ton of topping ideas – but I went the simple route by topping with fresh cherry tomatoes. The freshness with acidity and a little crunch was the perfect finishing touch.Jump to Recipe
What You Will Love About Avocado Hashbrown Toast
I’m a big fan of avocado toast! I resisted it for a long time as being “too yuppy” – but it is good. This is a nice alternative to traditional avocado toast because I RARELY have bread in the house. I do however have a bag of frozen hashbrown potatoes in my freezer at all times! Now I can have avocado “toast” any time I want!!!
Avocado Hashbrown Toast Ingredients
This is really up to you in terms of what you want to top it with – and even if you want to just slice the avocado or mash it up. I chose to mash it – I have a little mash recipe I love just for you!
- Avocado – I’m single and always buy the smallest avocados I can find – but use what you have!
- Hash browns – I bought a bag of frozen hash browns but you can also use the veggie hash browns if you like. If you’re wanting a “toast-like” experience, you’ll want to use the patties – not just loose hash browns.
- Avocado – 1 large avocado will make enough for 2-3 pieces of toast – so I had to share with my dogs.
- Lemon juice – don’t worry about fresh lemon juice – you don’t need much. The bottled juice will work just fine. You could also use limes if you prefer.
- Olive oil & coarse sea salt – yum and in practically every recipe
- Cherry tomatoes – I’ve got a big ol’ cherry tomato plant in my front yard – so I use them all the time!
How to Make Hash Brown Avocado Toast
Well this one isn’t rocket science but here are the basics:
- Heat hash brown patties according to package instructions in toaster or air fryer. I prefer the air fryer and it took about 5 minutes.
- While the hash browns are toasting, slice avocado in half and scoop out avocado flesh into a small bowl.
- Add in lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Mash together to make a creamy avocado spread.
- Once hash browns are done, remove from air fryer and top with smashed avocado mixture. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a pinch of coarse sea salt. Add cracked black pepper if you like.
- Take a pic and tag @foodhussy #hashbrownavocadotoast to join the Internet fad!
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
You can make them in the air fryer, in a pan or even in a toaster. I prefer the air fryer – they take about five minutes at 350ºF.
Well – everything in moderation. It really depends on how you prepare your avocado toast. They are high in calories – but also very high in nutrients. I’m not nutritionist – but I wouldn’t eat it every day.
So many things! Check the Variations section to find more ideas for topping your avocado toast.
Avocados from Mexico is super helpful! They recommend two methods:
1. coat unused half with lemon juice and wrap tightly with plastic wrap – I’ve done this and it sort of works – but it still gets brown. I usually scrape off the brown and eat it anyway.
2. submerge unused half in water – fill a bowl with water and place the avocado flesh side down and cover. I’m totally trying this one!!
Take it out of the fridge and set it on the counter – it’ll be ready to go in a day or two.
Put them in the refrigerator! They stay good so much longer!!!!
Variations & Toppings for Hashbrown Avocado Toast
Frankly – the options are nearly endless for Avocado Toast Toppings – but here are my favorites:
- Sliced Avocado & Bacon – instead of a mash, just lay avocado slices on top of the hash brown and add bacon and a light drizzle of olive oil & lemon juice.
- Fried or poached egg – just plop that egg on top – a runny one is best!
- Fresh Mozzarella & Balsamic Glaze – I bought a bottle of the glaze and use it all the time – this would also be great with the cherry tomatoes too!
- Salsa & jalapeños – make it a Mexican brunch and kick it up. You could also mix the salsa, jalapenos & avocado together and make a quick guacamole.
- Feta, kalamata olives & fresh microgreens – put a Greek spin on it!
- Hard-boiled egg & a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning – I make hard boiled eggs all the time – and this is one I make all the time!
Avocado Hashbrown Toast
- Heat hash browns according to package directions in toaster or air fryer (5 minutes in air fryer)2 frozen hash browns
- Slice avocado in half and scoop out avocado flesh into a small bowl.1 avocado
- Add in lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Mash together.1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- Once hash browns are done, remove from air fryer and top with half avocado mash. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a pinch of coarse sea salt.6 cherry tomatoes