Traeger Beer Can Chicken is the juiciest chicken you will EVER eat!!! Use my seasoning recipe or grab your favorite poultry rub – no matter the choice – you will love it!Jump to Recipe
Why is the Traeger Beer Can Chicken so much better? Those smoky little pellets of deliciousness!!! I chose to smoke the chicken – which does take a few hours – but you can also use your Traeger as a grill and get it made in about an hour.
How do you make Beer Can Chicken on the Traeger?
First – decide if you want to smoke your chicken or grill your chicken!
Smoking the Chicken
If you’re going to smoke your chicken – it needs 4 hours on the grill. This obviously has great bearing on when you start the bird! You’ll smoke it at 225 for 3.5 hours and then bump the temp up to 350 for the last 20-30 minutes.
Grilling the Chicken
Grilling your beer can chicken takes just over an hour. You’ll start up your Traeger (or regular grill) and go right to 350 degrees. It takes about 65-70 minutes to come to temp at 165 degrees.
Seasoning your Chicken
No matter which way you cook the bird, the seasoning method is the same. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Mix together your seasonings – if you’re doing your own rub – and cover the bird. Get in all the crevices!!! I made my own seasoning mix – but you can also use a pre-made chicken seasoning if you like.
Beer Can Chicken FAQs
Nope! I did not. I just shoved a tall-boy Budweiser up the rear of that bird and stood it up!
Yes – definitely! Not as much as smoking it for 4 hours – but it still gets in there.
Nope! If you want to – you can – but I don’t think it’s necessary. Brining is 1 gallon water, 1/3 cup salt – put the bird in – refrigerate overnight.
My absolute favorite packaged seasoning is Historic BBQ. They’re local and a championship winning BBQ team. Drool worthy for sure!
What to serve with Beer Can Chicken?
- Traeger Grilled Vegetables (throw them on at the end when you bump up the temp!)
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Traeger Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw
- Jarlsberg Dip Macaroni Salad
- Ruby Slipper Buttermilk Biscuits
Other Delicious Recipes for the Traeger
Traeger Beer Can Chicken
- When ready to cook, set Traeger to smoke. Once grill starts to smoke, then smoke dissipates and starts to fire – change setting to 225 degrees.
- Close lid and preheat to 225.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry
- Mix together all dry seasonings and rub all over chicken
- Open can of beer and drink about 1/3 can – just to make sure it's still good
- Take your beer, chicken and a pan out to the grill (It can be a rimmed baking sheet – or any grill safe pan larger than the bird that you can pick up – I used one of those grill skillets for vegetables)
- Place pan on grill. Tilt the chicken in your left hand and shove that open beer can up the wazoo of the chicken. Stand the bird/beer up on the pan in the grill. It may tip so be sure to shut the lid and reopen – make sure your bird is still standing.
- Smoke at 225 for 3.5 hours
- Turn temp up to 350 and continue for 30 minutes until thermometer reads 160
- Let rest for 15 minutes before carving
- If you'd like to make this more quickly with less "smoking" – grill at 350 for 65-70 minutes. If you're using a Traeger – you'll still get some smoky flavor.