On a recent visit to Gulf Shores I had this Pimento Cheese BLT and it was AMAZING!!! Pimento Cheese is cheddar cheese, mayo & pimentos (along with a few other things depending on where you get it). Well – take that – SLATHER it on marble rye and add thick cut bacon, crisp lettuce and fresh tomato! Yes please!!!!
How did I find it? We had a night out planned at my fav music venue, the Flora-Bama. But beforehand, we ate dinner across the street at the Flora-Bama Yacht Club and this sandwich was my new favorite!
What’s in Pimento Cheese?
Every place in the South has their own Pimento Cheese – this version actually comes from another popular restaurant – Chicken Salad Chick! So what’s in it?
- Sharp cheddar cheese – it’s a MUST to use sharp
- Pepper jack cheese – it’s not enough to make it too spicy 😉
- Pimentos!! – that’s what gives it the orange color – this recipe uses a small 4 oz jar
- Mayonnaise – I always use Duke’s
- Worcestershire sauce
- Finely diced onions
- Black pepper
Then you’ll also need thick cut bacon, lettuce, tomato and marble rye.
How do you make a Pimento Cheese BLT?
It’s very simple and you can make your pimento cheese the day before if you like – I like to refrigerate overnight to meld the flavors.
- Mix together your pimento cheese and refrigerate
- Cook bacon however you prefer (skillet, air fryer, grilled) and drain on paper towel
- Lightly toast your marble rye – I used my Instant Pot Omni Oven Air Fryer because I could do them all at once. I lightly buttered one side too – just made the toast a little softer and yummier!
- Make your sandwich! I like to have the Pimento Cheese on one side of the bread – tomato on the other side – then lettuce & bacon in the middle – but you do you!
Tips, Tricks & FAQs
You can use all cheddar or a mix of cheeses. Just be sure you get some sharp – or even extra sharp cheddar in there!
Well – it’s basically cheese and mayo – the pimentos are a little sweet but don’t have a strong flavor. I love it!
Not usually but you could add a little hot sauce or more pepper jack if you’re looking for more zing!
It’s a mayo-based dip/spread – so I would say – in the fridge – it’s good for about a week.
I have some recipes below that you can use it in! But it’s also tasty just on crackers!
Sure! You can definitely buy pre-made – it’s more expensive and comes in a pretty small tub – but it’s yum too! It’s usually in the nice cheese area (you know – not with the bagged cheeses but with the goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, hummus) in a little tub. This recipe makes 2-3 tubs worth!
No – of course not! The Flora-Bama did and I loved it – the aroma from Marble Rye is just delicious though – so give it a try!
I like a thick-cut hickory smoked bacon – but I buy Amana Colonies brand or Smithfield Thick Cut most of the time…
Other Favorite Gulf Shores Copycat Recipes
I’ve been to Gulf Shores a BUNCH of times – and every time I find a new favorite dish. If you’re headed there – be sure to check out my posts for Things to Do and places to eat! But I’ve made quite a few copycat recipes from Gulf Shores restaurants – here are my faves:
- Ruby Slipper Pig Candy (aka Candied Bacon)
- The Yard Monster Edible Cookie Dough
- Ruby Slipper Buttermilk Biscuits
- Tacky Jack’s Garbage Nachos
- Sunliner Diner Corned Beef Hash
Other recipes with Pimento Cheese
- Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
- Air Fryer Pimento Cheese Wontons
- Pimento Cheese Grits Casserole
- See more recipes with Pimento Cheese…
Pimento Cheese BLT
- Mix together cheeses, mayo, pimento, onion, Worcestershire sauce, pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate (this can be done the day before)2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, 2/3 cup pepper jack cheese, 1/2 cup Duke's mayonnaise, 4 oz diced pimento, 1 tbsp finely diced onions, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Cook bacon to your liking and drain on paper towel1 lb bacon
- Lightly toast marble rye. I used my air fryer so I could do them all at once. I also lightly buttered one side before toasting in air fryer.8 slices marble rye
- Lay out marble rye and top one side with tomato & lettuce. Spread pimento cheese on the other sides of bread and top with bacon. Make your sammich!lettuce leaves, 2 tomatoes